Monday, June 8, 2009




A New Moon! and Summer Solstice coming up!




I'm going to hold a small Esbat for the Full moon. I don't have all my tools yet, so I will just observe. Hopefully by the next full moon, I'll be able to a cleansing, invocations and mediate.
As you can read, I attended a weekend retreat recently. My biggest issue is finding time. I believe I 've started to figure out how to do this... involve the kids! let's see how this goes.
For my non-Wicca, non-Pagan friends, you may wonder what is an Esbat? According to Wikipedia, An esbat is a ritual observance of the full moon within Wicca and other Wicca-influenced forms of Neopaganism. Traditionally, the eight festivals of the Wheel of the Year are times of celebration, while "magical work" is done at the esbats. Check out this link on how to do an Esbat Ritual


Hmm! If only we were allowed religious holidays for Wiccas and Pagans! We can, using personal/vacation time. Sigh, I wish it was more mainstreamed like Christian and Jewish holidays.

Now for the next Festival... According to Wikipedia, Summer Solstice is on June 21. A solar festival which was almost universally celebrated; and, especially in Europe. In the European tradition, the night before was Midsummer’s Eve; a time for great magic , especially for love charms. Certain herbs were picked at midnight to bring protection against lightning, fire, witchcraft, disease and ill fortune. Witches and fairies roam on Midsummer’s Eve, as they do at Beltane; there is a bit of madness in the air. Great bonfires are lit to help change the course of the sun in the sky, the rites resemble those of Beltane. Burning wheels are rolled down hills, and burning disks are thrown at the sun. The zenith of the power of the Sun God is manifested in the flourishing of crops and livestock. The sabbat was Christianized to St. John’s Day (for John the Baptist).

I wish, wish, wish upon a bright star... that one day I will be at Stonehenge to celebrate summer Solstice in person! Meanwhile, I'll have to content to greet the dawn at home.

Blessings

No comments:

Post a Comment